Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fly-By-The-Seat-Of-My-Pants Calzones 
(in other words, I threw this together speedy fast)


I am headed off to the Supply Side West Show in Las Vegas, Nevada tomorrow. It is a big show for food and cosmetic formulators. I will be looking for unique and HEALTHY food ingredients, as well as a few cosmetic ingredients. I had a bunch of errands to run before I left for Nevada, so this was dinner tonight. I already had pizza dough and pizza sauce pre-made. The ricotta cheese mixture is easy to throw together. Just make sure to season the cheese mixture well so the calzones are not bland. I taste the cheese mixture and adjust the seasonings BEFORE I add the raw eggs. This meal is easily made vegetarian by just omitting the pepperoni.

Feeds 4 easily.


The ricotta cheese mixture.

I rolled out 3 small orange-sized portions of olive oil dough, on a floured surface.

I spread on some of my home made pizza sauce, leaving the edges bare.

 I next put on the ricotta cheese mixture.

 I topped with pepperoni, optional

 I then folded the dough circle in half, on top of itself and rolled and sealed the edges. It was then transferred with 2 dough scrapers, to a silicone lined baking sheet.

 Calzone #1 made it into the pan...whew!

 I lightly oiled the surface of the calzones with rice bran oil.

 Next, I pricked the calzones with a fork.

 These baked in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50 minutes, until the tops were a nice golden brown.

 These were very tasty.


I just made this up to taste - you can do the same...

Ricotta cheese Filled Calzones:

Components:

5 Minute Olive Oil Dough (see my post about this dough:  http://artfulcheesewiz.blogspot.com/2013/10/menu-and-recipes-for-my-13-year-old.html)

Pepperoni, quartered, optional

Ricotta Cheese Filling (see recipe below)

Ricotta Cheese Filling:
about 22 ounces Ricotta cheese (low-fat or regular)
3 large handfuls raw organic baby spinach leaves, pre-washed and dried, minced fine
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
1 c. shredded Colby Jack cheese blend
2 cloves garlic, smashed well in a mortar & pestle
1/2 t. granulated garlic
1/2 t. onion salt, or more to taste
1/2 t. dried crumbled rosemary, to taste
1/2 t. Italian seasoning, to taste
20 grinds of fresh black pepper, to taste
2 large organic eggs

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix up the ricotta cheese filling ingredients, to taste.
3. On a floured surface, roll out portions of dough into a desired circular shape.
4. Slather on pizza sauce.
5. Spread some of the ricotta cheese mixture onto one half of the sauced-up dough.
6. Top with pepperoni, as desired.
7. Fold the dough in half, encasing all of the filling.
8. Turn and fold dough edges, sealing the filling inside tightly.
9. Transfer calzones with 2 dough scrapers, to a silicone or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
10. Oil (with rice bran oil, coconut oil, or butter) and prick the dough with a fork.
11. Place in the preheated oven and bake until golden brown, about 50 minutes.


Enjoy!

Author: Leila Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment